Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Supermom

We all know her, she's that mom that's got it all together. She is organized and creative; her children are polite and well dressed. The house is always clean, with even the kids' rooms looking like "Good Housekeeping" is on their way over for a photo shoot. She serves hot, healthy meals every day of the week, even after shuttling the kids to every activity on the planet. She never complains and never seems tired. She is patient, tolerant, and blissfully happy to be honored with the role of mom. This is the mom who always finds time to volunteer in each childs' class, never misses a recital, game, belt test, spelling bee, concert, or graduation. Often, she works full time and seems to create a fountain of energy the rest of us struggle for. While I'm trying to peel my grumpy eyelids open, she's been up for two hours, her house already clean and a hot breakfast in route to the table.

Okay, so as over the top as that description is, there is that perception of the perfect mom that we all seem to strive for. But, get real, if such a person existed, she would have to be a robot. Besides, is a perfectly clean house the sign of a "Super Mom"? Is it a mom who works, or a mom who stays home? Is it a mom who spends every waking moment scheduling and directing their kids or is it the mom who gently guides and then lets her kids make their own mistakes and create their own path in life? Being a mom is the most exhausing, exhilerating and emotional job ever created. It is a lifelong learning experience that we will NEVER get perfect.

So, how is it that some mom's make it look easy? You know, the ones who seem to have endless energy, boundless patience, and limitless creativity? We see the best in them, because those are the moms who "get it". They understand that we are all doing the best we can regardless of our circumstances. They understand that we are all Super Moms because we care, we try, we learn, we grow, we teach, and we're there. They understand that there is no such thing as Supermom, but we are all Super Moms.

2 comments:

  1. So true! I am always looking at other mothers in amazement and scrutinizing my own abilities. Why didn't I think of that? How creative and wonderful are some things that mothers do with their children. Granted I only have one child at the moment and one on the way, but I believe we constantly learn and evolve into what we desire and crave to be a the role of "Mother". Even harder when you were raised without that same devotion or teaching I so want to share with my own children. How lucky those women are that had a mom that took time, shared, and taught well. It is all relative and circumstantual. We can only do what we can do, and it's ok. I work full time, but being a mother is full time, job or not. There is always something to be done, or feel like I could do it better. I feel I am my own worst critic and I have to say I am proud of myself even if I can't make a homemade dinosour cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha...I'll bet you could make the dinosaur cake if you really set your mind to it. I'm sure they have one on www.familyfun.com, my creativity bible.
    I guess it can be learned that all moms have their strengths, but no one mom has them all.

    ReplyDelete