Thursday, November 13, 2008

"Necessity" Defined

In this world of "Keeping up with the Jones", we often get caught up in the vicious cycle of working more, to buy more things. At the same time, we feel that we deserve nice things because we work hard. My question is a simple one; What are the necessities in your house?

With our recent 40% decrease in household income, this question comes up daily. However, our answer is likely very different from yours.


Is it cable tv? Internet? (obviously this one is for me if I ever hope to make money at it), chocolate?, gym membership? kids activities? eating out at least once a week? newspaper subscription?


A friend was having financial struggles a while back and asked my advice about how to make cut backs. We discussed cancelling the cell phone and gym membership. For her, those were not options. She used the phone for work and the gym was "necessary" because she had a job which kept her in the social eye, plus it was an outlet for frustration and stress.


Over the last month, we have concluded that we can do without 80% of what I might have called a necessity a few months ago. The basic list for us has dwindled down to food, gas, our family vacation next August, err, wine (that's bad right?), and love...it's a good thing some things in life are still free.

5 comments:

  1. I liked your posting, I think that this is something that is on everyones mind lately. My family is also trying to look at our spending and trying to find some ways to save some money. We haven't done it yet but we have talked about turning our cable off and I am trying to clip coupons to save some extra cash. We both have been asking ourselves before we buy something, Do I really NEED this? It's hard to switch to that type of thinking when I would normally just buy it if I wanted it. Though I think the effort will be well worth the energy. Happy penny pinching ! :) Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I was interesting in your soap making project. How much did it cost and do you think you are going to save any money? I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, the total cost was about $8 if you buy 2 bars of soap, one box of borax, and one box of washing soda. That will make 2 batches. So far, it looks like one batch will last about 6 weeks. That will be a huge savings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,Dawn, I am one of Marissa's other sister-in-laws, Sara. I like your menu posting and will be checking it out weekly. Sometimes I just want someone else to decide "what's for dinner?" but I don't mind making it. Keep up the good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sara. I feel the same way. I will be posting a recipe of the week soon also so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete