Tuesday, April 14, 2009

School policy

A couple of months ago, my daughter stayed home sick from school. The morning got away from me (as usual) and it was 10:00 before I remembered to call the school. Not for the first time, it caused me to wonder how long it would take the school to call and let me know that my daughter didn't show up to second grade.

When I inquired about the policy, I was shocked to find out that there is no such policy in place! Yikes!

The office staff responded that the school assumed the parent knew if the child was not at school. I responded that, as a parent, I have the right to assume my child is at school and wished to be notified if that was not the case. In our neighborhood, there are several children who walk to school or the bus stop. If something happened to them in route, the parent wouldn't even be aware of their absence until late in the day; for us, four o'clock in the afternoon. Any trail would be devestatingly cold by then.

After contacting the principal and superintendent of the school district, I was assured the matter would be brought up at an upcoming meeting. That was a few weeks ago and I inquired about an update today, but have not yet heard back.

I guess the lesson here, is to never make assumptions about policy when it comes to the safety of your children. Call and ask. The people who are responsible for our children are paid through our tax dollars and answer to us.

I'll let you know when I find out more.

1 comment:

  1. Update: I met with the principal a few days ago. Ahem...we are lacking office staff and money needed to emplement such a policy. She is supposed to be getting me pricing on an automated phone system which would call all numbers input and leave a recorded message. I am supposed to smooze the PTC into approving the funds. I'll keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete